This is a very healthy version of a very naughty dish. It’s tasty too, if you like cauliflower that is. Disclaimer: this is not miracle rice, it has some ‘characteristics’ of rice but it does still taste a bit like cauliflower. Which I love!
The best thing about this dish apart from being delicious is it actually keeps you full. And as with a lot of my recipes on here, this is great the next day for lunch too. At university one of my cheap go-to meals was homemade chicken and egg fried rice. Not really the most nutritious of dishes. I wish I’d known about cauliflower ‘rice’ when I was a student!
Serves 3 – 4
Cauliflower Egg Fried ‘Rice’
- Whole cauliflower
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 6 spring onions, sliced
- 2 chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Packet of cooked king prawns (about 140g)
- 2 eggs
- Remove the leaves from the cauliflower and cut up the florets. You can either grate your cauliflower using a standard grater or if you have a blender you can use the grating function on that. This is your ‘rice’. Once it’s all grated, lay your rice onto a clean tea towel or onto kitchen roll and pat dry as it will feel quite wet. Leave to one side to dry out a little whilst you prep the rest.
- Using a frying pan or wok, get your oil nice and hot and add your garlic. Once it starts to go light brown add your chopped chillies and spring onions for a minute. Now add your ‘rice’ and give it a good stir – you want the oil to coat the rice.
- Add the soy sauce – you can add more if you like a stronger taste. Add the prawns and mix it all together.
- Now you need to make a hole in the middle and crack one of the eggs into it. Let it cook a little and then break it up with your wooden spoon. After a minute, once it starts to cook a bit, mix it through your rice. Then do this again with your second egg. And serve!
This is such a quick and easy recipe – it’s my go-to meal after a long day at work. And it has the added bonus of being a very healthy and nutritious meal. Enjoy!
Pin for later